25.10.11

Nightlife

   
 

At 3am one recent Saturday, there was a commotion outside my bedroom window. It was one of those ill-conceived commotions – the drunken, hazy, increasingly half-hearted nighttime arguments. It's a nighttime scene repeated all over.

"Nightlife" can have such weird connotations – on one hand very 1990s rave scene, on the other, students and cheap beer and loud music – but I am starting to feel that it should be reclaimed by the sober and the curious: people looking to do everyday things that their various busy lives won't let them fit into standard opening hours. 

A few weeks ago I visited Glasgow's Kelvingrove Art Gallery at 10am on a Thursday (while everyone else was at work). It was completely empty – an entirely different experience to the hoaching museums I end up in on Saturdays in London. I took time to read plaques next to paintings, I learnt a thing or two and wasn't disturbed by anyone at all. I even took some pictures.

According to this New York Times article, museums and galleries are beginning to open after hours in the city, and are creating a whole new relationship between people who want to visit museums and the museums themselves. For my part, I can't think of a better thing to do after a meal out than taking a walk in the cold and then visiting an art gallery or museum, out of hours, in the warmth. Especially if it was this one, complete with slide.
Wouldn't it be great if night started to be a bit more like day – which when you think about it is a time that most people miss out on. Museums and galleries would open late, more cinemas would show films in the early hours (I know they do this in NYC, but it's high time it caught on) and maybe there'd be fewer people waking up in the morning full of regret at the memory of the night before. I for one would definitely appreciate that.

15 comments:

  1. Yes, yes and yes. I'm sober and curious and that just doesn't seem to fit into norm of student life. I didn't expect it to if I'm honest, but it still seems a little sad. Even the English society for example, has its social gatherings in a nightclub at 11pm.

    This just seems very refreshing to read about. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a brilliant idea. I know some Londonn museums have late nights but it would be great if it would be more often and more regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my work on the history of museums and their role as sites for art education - I was really surprised to discover that in the very early days (different points in the 19thC, depending on the institution), public museums opened late and on weekends to encourage the working classes to visit - as there was this big movement to help educate the poorer classes.

    Isn't it funny how we all seem to be in that position these days? We are all the (now time-)poor working class! We need our cultural institutions to realise that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't tell you how much I love this post. I really love the idea of embracing the night like we embrace the day. I think there's something so special about visiting a museum late at night, it's a totally different feeling to doing the same thing during the day. I think Versailles opened its doors to visitors at night a while back. It must have been a magical experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of more museums doing this. The California Academy of Sciences opens late every Thursday with different themes/events. It's a fun way to go out and explore the museum in a completely different atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it is a wonderful idea indeed. Some museums in San Francisco are starting to do that once a week. I haven't been to one of their Night Life events but I'm really looking forward it to. I really do think that they should do it regularly, sort of like a movie theater that opens at 12 and ends at midnight. That would be ideal to majority of us (day) working folks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my first visit here (from hila's place) and i couldn't agree with you more!

    i remember visiting art galleries in Sydney when i was in my 20's, along with coffee and good conversations, and those nights were always more satisfying than other nights.
    although i enjoy dancing too...

    i also love the idea of a museum/gallery near my home. one that i could be so used to that i could glide through not having to look at everything all the time. as comfortable as a favourite hat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great post. Last spring, all the museums in Florence had late-night hours once a month. We walked down to one of the old, old castles that now house four stories of art and we wandered through the rooms until midnight. It was so surreal, but so much better than seeing all of these ancient pieces in the bright daylight. Spookier, maybe, but rightly so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely idea. I think everyone hates crowded museums, but who has the time do visit them during the day. I also can't think of a better way to end a (sometimes stressful) day.


    Camila Faria
    (Love your blog. I'm also here from Hila's blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I`m totally for this idea, as Hila has already mentioned it might be a totally different feeling and perception

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! I would love this. Late night bookshops and museums... all the things us working folk have to cram into the spare moments, opened to the luxurious expanse of evening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds like a great idea! lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very good idea. Some London museums are open a little later on Fridays, I went to the vintage glamour night at the Portrait gallery recently and it was great, but so busy! A little peace would be welcome for gallery visiting. but it would be nice if it was later. I think cinemas should definitely show films later too. Great post as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree. There was a wonderful Guardian supplement some years back (I think Hila spoke about it recently) on nighttime and living/life at night. As you said, it is a wonderful reimagining of life lived on a different track... Tis one of the reasons why I love winter: everything feels different when it is dark.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just discovered your blog and fell in love with it instantly. Love what you write and how you do it. x

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, so thank you for leaving one! Please though, don't leave your blog address in the comment box – it is slightly spammy, and already linked via your blogger profile. Thank you!